Lead SQL Developer / Database Administrator
We Are Car Benefit Solutions
Car Benefit Solutions is the leading provider of Employee Car Ownership Schemes in the UK, delivering complete solutions that span consultancy and scheme design through to implementation and fleet management. We have a strong client base in Automotive and Corporate sectors, working in partnership with 25 manufacturer brands to deliver schemes to more than 300 businesses and 2000 franchise dealerships. We offer a comprehensive benefit and rewards package, ranging from health and wellbeing initiatives to discounted car schemes and flexible working. We are a 3 star outstanding best companies to work for and one of the top 75 employers in the North West. As well as Silver Investors in People Status, we have also won local Made in Bury Business Awards.
The role is a mixture between hands-on SQL Development, Production DBA, and team management.
The role is responsible for the development and maintenance of all of the database environments that support the CBS systems as well as working with the BI team, ensuring the continual development of the use of relevant technologies where applicable to support the CBS business goals.
The role will also be responsible for ensuring the continual development of the database / BI technologies where applicable to support the CBS business goals in collaboration with Business Stakeholders & Service Providers. Ensuring that data is easily accessible and accurate to support the wider business & application requirements.
You will also be responsible for creating development plans for the team to ensure the team have sufficient knowledge to support the systems in place and to deliver future development strategies.
The Challenge Ahead
Responsible for working with Stakeholders in multiple aspects of the business including Pricing, IT & Development, Commercial Operations, Financial Transactions, Management Accounting and Reporting.
The Development team are responsible for the CBS Bespoke Internal Application & Client Websites. The database team are responsible for the bespoke database systems as well as supporting the BI Team’s needs. The team goals are to be the leaders of change within the business, embedding wherever possible the systems and processes within our client’s workflow further enhancing the interaction with CBS.
- Line Management, Personal Development and Recruitment of a team of SQL & BI Developers.
- Ensuring that key processes and procedures are accurately documented and maintained in a timely manner.
- Ensuring KPI’s and SLA’s are introduced, documented and evaluated
- Work with the development team to design, optimise and implement SQL Server solutions for the bespoke CBS systems.
- Working with the Development Manager to define the database strategies and procedures to align with achieving the CBS goals and objectives.
- Ensure documentation, adoption and maintenance of database standards.
- Working with the Development Manager, IT Manager & Service Providers to assess the database infrastructure.
- Working with the Development Manager to define the database and BI strategies and procedures to align with achieving the CBS goals and objectives.
- Develop excellent knowledge of the CBS network, database infrastructure and server infrastructure
- Ensuring data is available, accurately and in a timely and user friendly manner to the wider business and external clients
- Presenting ideas for system improvements and challenging existing technologies and methodologies where appropriate and identify any potential cost or time saving.
- Working closely with Business Analysts & Developers to understand and analyse user requirements and identify any potential issues, impacts, risks etc. and produce technical specifications where appropriate.
- Responsible for investigating and troubleshooting all database related issues including performance management
- Design and develop performant and manageable solutions using SQL Server
- Support the BI developers in developing effective SQL code to deliver reports
- Integrate with 3rd Party applications within CBS and the cloud using SSIS
- Work within and contribute effectively to the Agile framework / methodology implemented and used by CBS
- Responsible for the management of all database environments and ensure that databases are functioning optimally and are scalable
- Assist SQL developers with database development and performance tuning in adherence with SQL standards
- Ensuring data security, integrity and availability in line with external standards such as GDPR
- Work closely with stakeholders to identify and implement processes and actions to continuously improve data quality
- Investigating or guiding the investigation into new technologies and assessing the impact of adopting these if applicable
- Continually updating technical knowledge and skills by reading manuals, using video tutorials and hands-on training.
The Person Profile
- Degree in relevant subject matter (Essential)
Skills, Knowledge & Attributes
- Demonstrable Development DBA experience supporting bespoke applications
- Demonstrable experience of leading and developing a DB/MI function
- Strong knowledge of TSQL
- Knowledge of version control systems
- Developing ETL using SSIS
- Experience of designing, implementing and enhancing database schemas and optimizing the use of them
- Demonstrable commercial experience in a MS SQL environment
- Strong knowledge of current technical trends and techniques
- Previous experience in people and performance management and development
- Ability to positively influence and motivate team members
- Methodical with an exceptional attention to detail
- Organisational and time management skills to meet deadlines
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills to interact with internal and external contacts
- Self-starter with the ability to work with minimum supervision and deliver results
- Flexible and adaptable approach to working in a rapidly growing and changing business
- Ability to work in line with CBS Core Values of pride, integrity, accountability, continuous improvement and enjoyment
- Knowledge and proven experience of working with and implementing BI technologies including data warehousing
- Demonstrable Production DBA experience managing performance, capacity
- Demonstrable Production DBA experience managing security & availability with Support Providers
- Strong knowledge of supporting a Reporting function
- Demonstrable commercial experience in an Azure environment
Please note, we do not accept any form of unsolicited direct contact from agencies that are not on our PSL.
Team NameDBA Team
Hours35 hours Mon - Fri
LocationHead Office, Bury (currently working from home due to COVID-19)
Why Work for CBS?
- 25 days’ holiday plus buy/sell policy of up to 5 days
- BUPA – Private medical insurance
- Sponsored car schemes
- 5% pension contribution
- Medicash (Subsidised dental, optical and alternative therapies
- Death in service insurance
- The Barracks Site – Modernised ex Fusiliers Museum
- Friendly working environment
- Annual Summer & Christmas Parties
- Social Committee
- Accessible by Metrolink
- Free secure parking
- On-site Café